Monday, February 9, 2009

Un-F-ing-Believable

I have a strange work schedule that's constantly in flux depending on what project I'm working on. For the most part, Sundays are the new Saturdays, but Mondays are still Mondays. If I can get my ass in gear the night before, I don't have to worry about getting my 10am (or even noon) posts up on New Brahmin. I was on my A-game this week and decided to sleep in come Monday morning since it's also Mike's day off. But then the phone rang.

It was the oral surgeon's office. I figured they were just confirming my surgery. Well, yes, but apparently I no longer have dental insurance. I spend the next hour or so of my life trying not to scream at every person I speak to at Commonwealth Connector, which is the program that hooks non-insured Mass residents with affordable health insurance, and Network Health, my insurance company.

Some background: In November I received a notice saying that because I earned $X in 2007 and am something like 116% above the poverty level, I am not longer eligible for my insurance. WTF, right? Isn't it their job to make sure that everyone in MA has health insurance since it's a law? Anyway, I appealed this and held my breath for about a month and didn't say anything to anyone. Eventually, post-New Years, I received a letter from Commonwealth Connector saying "congratulations, you're in our system!" along with a new insurance card from Network. I noticed that my pricing was much higher on the card but sorta figured, whatever, I'll deal with it later. Then I got a bill.

Back to the story: OK, no worries, still got insurance, right? Well, yes, health insurance. Apparently, when my insurance was changed over by the state, going from practically no premium to $110, my plan no longer includes dental. No one told me this and I'm sure the finger pointing just goes back to me for not researching any changes in my plan. As great of a program CommConnector is for people who couldn't access affordable healthcare (read: actual poor people, not freelancers and entrepreneurs like myself), the more you pay, the less you get, which is a completely ass-backwards system. But that's the insurance business for you. Some options were recommended, none of which applied to my situation. That situation being that I'm having fucking 8 teeth pulled in 3 days. 

Got an estimate from the surgeon's office and will have to pay in cash because I refuse to reschedule the surgery. I was under the impression that this would be at least a $6000 undertaking but it was far less (yet still significant). Luckily, I'm very fortunate and have been spotted the fee, hoping that the claim form I get in return will bring a nice refund check once I get this insurance shit straight. This whole conundrum ruined my day and put me in the most horrible mood possible.

No comments: