Monday, February 23, 2009

Light Dinner Conversation

A week to the day after my surgery, I was already back to one of my several jobs - styling a photoshoot for a local mag (I'll put up pics once their out - 2nd week of March). It was a cold and windy day and not exactly the kind of weather you really think "spring fashion". Needless to say - poor model (at least I get to keep my coat on for the outside shots). 

Immediately after we wrapped (OK, I did some quick returns), I joined Mike and his parents, bro and girlfriend for dinner at Hamersley's. Most of the dinner convo revolved around my surgery and the other blonde girl from NJ's travails at law school. Now there's an interesting dichotomy in Mike's family, which I believe I handle very well (I better with 6 years under my belt), so please don't take Mike's comments all too literally. His mom does sometimes, and that occasionally leads to misunderstandings.

So the convo goes down like this, with the topic moving from my surgery to me getting braces:

Mike: Braces are a great excuse to postpone a wedding.
Mike's Mom (exasperated): That's a terrible thing to say, Michael.
Mike (to me, in a completely joking manner): Honey, I just wouldn't want you to be upset with the pictures because you have braces.
Me: I thought I was doing this so I wouldn't ruin the pictures in the first place.
Mike's Mom continues to yell at him for his original comment.
Mike: I would marry you tomorrow if it weren't for the braces.
Me: I won't have the braces tomorrow, so you have yourself a good two weeks to make good on that.
Mike: Well then, all you have to do is sign a piece of paper I have...

Then after some chastising from his mother, Mike began to explain that my braces will be platinum with diamond settings. The engagement braces are once again a point of reference. If only they could be transformed into a ring afterward. He's totally going to kill me for sharing this silly exchange.

Then his dad started insinuating fart jokes. Once again, he saves my day.

I swear I'm not obsessed with getting married - it's just that it's been the undertone of my orthodontic adventures.


No comments: