Friday, September 19, 2008

Recorded

I got my "records" done on Wednesday. The night before, which is when I started this blog, my nose would not stop running/sneezing and I slept for about 2 hours total. I was pretty miserable. I somehow got it together to make it to my 9am appointment, feeling like a leaky faucet. The very sweet technician (???) who has the cutest scrubs I've ever scene (from Dickies, bootcut withe a cross-over top in pink and brown) was warned about my nasal situation. She throws her hands in the air and says, "Me too!" Allergies apparently, which is reassuring since I thought I had a cold for a minute. 

She did a Celph and Pan, which circles your head, along with regular x-rays I could have just given them from my other dentists. Then it was time for the impressions. I mention that I have a temporary onlay on my back right molar, so the technician checks with the ortho. The ortho comes in and in the sort of way your high school teacher may have said to you about not doing an assignment, she says, "Well, if that's an issue, we cannot do the impressions today". I felt like I was getting sent to detention or something. I explain that if it pops out, it pops out, I'm possibly getting the permanent in the next day (which didn't happen). I just didn't want to freak out the poor technician if it happened to pop out.

Well, it didn't pop out but I did make the most disgusting noise ever when she was finishing up my second top impression. I had sneezed just before and as I was laying back, felt it all dripping down the back of my throat. The impression wasn't bothering me but the fact that I couldn't swallow wasn't helping my case. When the tech went to remove the tray, which was suctioned on to my teeth, I begin to gag and dry heave. So embarrassing. I apologized profusely as I drooled all over myself. She said it happens to just about everyone and that she's used to it. 

After having a wax impression of my bite taken, I sit in the chair waiting for whatever. I overhear the tech talking to the ortho about the films she took. She didn't think they were very good and the ortho said, "It's most likely the patient. Some people can't stay still". I wonder if she realizes she's talking within earshot of said patient. I felt bad for the tech but I'm that girl who holds her breath when she gets her hair cut to prevent movement. Afterward, the ortho comes in, I guess to say hi. 

"Look at these wisdom teeth, Liana," she begins, "this one is coming in sideways". Really?! It's not like the last 2 dentists I've seen in the past 6 months neglected to tell me that themselves. I stare at her blankly until she starts on about seeing an oral surgeon. I told her I wanted to know what other teeth she suggests pulling before I go through with it because I don't want to do the surgery thing twice. She purses her lips, "Well, I'll be looking into your situation". No shit, my boyfriend just paid you $675 to do so. 


No comments: